Butter chicken is one of our favorite Indian dish. Chunks of aromatic grilled chicken cooked in a smooth buttery and creamy tomato based sauce.
My boys fell in love with Butter Chicken during our trip to Budapest. They loved it so much, we had Butter Chicken two days in a row and it was also the highlight of their trip! So as soon as we got back, I decided to experiment a couple of recipes I found online, but my two critics said it was no where close. After a few tweaks, I finally got my own version of home-made butter chicken. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 3 pieces Boneless Chicken Thigh, cut in pieces
FOR THE MARINADE
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoon Garam Masala
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoon Ground Chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon Ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 small tub plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- Kosher salt, to taste
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 canned Tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoon Garam Masala
- 2 tablespoon Ground Chilli Powder
- 2 to 3 tablespoon Fenugreek Leaves
- 1 small tub Greek Yogurt
- Salt, to taste
Ready to marinade
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken pieces and all of the marinade ingredients together and mix well. Leave to marinade for 30 minutes.
- In a dutch oven and on medium heat, add the ghee. Add the chicken in batches and sear on all sides. Remove and set aside.
Making the sauce
3. In the same dutch oven, add a tablespoon ghee, Chilli powder, garam masala, tomato sauce, butter and fenugreek leaves. Stir and cover. Leave it to simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
4. Add the chicken and fenugreek leaves. Let it simmer for another 3 to 5 minutes. Lastly add the yoghurt in and mix well.
6. Serve with naan bread or a bowl of basmati rice.
If you’ve tried the recipe, don’t forget to tag us on instagram at #thespatulaandwok