This Braised Chicken with Mushrooms is Chinese home cooking at its best. It has a concentrated savory flavor. The broth absorbs the flavor of the chicken and fresh shiitake and oyster mushroom to create a potent sauce that enhances them both. The mushrooms are the highlight of the dish, meaty and juicy and adds an earthy flavour to the tender chicken.
Watch the video
For the chicken marinade:
- 3 chicken thighs, cut in pieces
- 4 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 chicken bouillon
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger , minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt, to taste
For the sauce:
- 5 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 cup fresh or dried shiitake mushrooms , soaked in 1 cup of water
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup Carrots
- 1/3 cup Cherry Tomatoes
For the garnish:
- Handful Coriander, chopped
- 1 stalk Spring onion, chopped
Let’s prepare the sauce:
1. Rinse shiitake mushrooms. Place fresh/dried shiitake mushrooms in a small sized bowl and add warm water to cover. Mix a few times so that the mushrooms are coated with water. Set aside and allow to rehydrate for about 20 minutes. Thinly sliced the shiitake mushroom or leave it whole. Do not throw the water. It is to be mixed together with the sauce.
2. Combine the sauce ingredients and mix with the water from the shiitake mushroom. Set aside.
Let’s prepare the chicken:
3. In a bowl, add chicken, chicken bouillon, cornstarch, salt, sugar, rice vinegar, garlic and ginger. Blend in cornstarch and mix well by hand until chicken is evenly coated. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
4. In a dutch oven over medium-high heat, add oil. Add the chicken and cook until the chicken is browned.
5. Add the shiitake, oyster mushroom and pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover the lid and bring the liquid to a boil and simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes, or until the sauce is thick. In the last 10 minutes of cooking, you can add vegetables of your choice.
6. Make sure to stir occasionally, and remember to keep the heat low and add more water if you like a lot of sauce OR if you like the sauce thicker add 1 teaspoon cornstarch mix with 2 tablespoon water.
7. Garnish with coriander and spring onion. Serve immediately with a bowl of steamed rice.
If you’ve tried the recipe, don’t forget to tag us on instagram at #thespatulaandwok