Char Kuay Teow is one of the most epic noodle dishes in Brunei & Malaysia. Big flavours, contrasting textures and has a signature hint of charred smokiness to it! That aroma of smokiness is part of the real Kuay Teow experience you normally get from street hawkers. However, you won’t be able to get this “charring” from our home kitchen. Our burners are simply no comparison to the fierce heat of the street hawkers or Asian restaurant kitchens.
Watch the video
Servings 4 to 6 people
- 2 packets Fresh Rice Noodles, carefully separate them, blanch in hot water for 1 to 2 minutes. Strain and set aside. If using dried noodles, prepare them according to the package directions
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 200 gram beef fillet, thinly sliced; OR 300 gram prawn
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dried shrimp, pounded
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup sweet soy sauce
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon oyster sayce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 chicken bouillon
- White pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Beansprout (optional)
- Bak Choy (optional)
For the omelette:
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- In a small bowl, add all the sauces and mix well.
2. Marinade the beef with 2 tablespoon of the sauce mixture. In a separate bowl, add 1/4 cup of the sauce mixture onto the blanched noodle
3. In a wok and on high heat, add oil, stir fry the marinated beef or prawn and let it cook until nicely browned or until prawn turns pink. Transfer onto a plate. Set aside.
4. In the same wok, add garlic and dried shrimp. Sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the noodle and pour the remaining sauce mixture, sesame oil, chicken bouillon, bean sprout, bak choy. Toss to disperse Sauce through the noodles. Pause between tosses to give the noodles a chance to caramelise on the edges. Mix well and, stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
5. In a separate pan, add oil and pour in the beaten eggs; making a thick omelette. Once set, add it onto the noodle and mix.
6. Remove from stove and serve immediately.
If you’ve tried the recipe, don’t forget to tag us on instagram at #thespatulaandwok