This is a simple Salmon recipe in a sweet and spicy soy-based gravy that is delicious served with steamed white rice.
Watch the video
- 500 to 600 gram salmon fillet
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 shallots, diced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 bird’s eye chillies, sliced (optional)
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cardamom
- 2 star anise
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 carrot, sliced (optional)
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup sweet soy sauce
- 1/2 chicken bouillon (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup water
For the garnish:
- 1 stalk spring onion, chopped
- Handful fresh coriander
1. In a small bowl, mix all the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
2. In a pan, add vegetable oil on medium heat. Saute garlic, ginger, Chilli and onion until fragrant. Add the spices, star anise, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon stick.
3. Mix the sauce into the pan and let it simmer for 2 minutes, then add the salmon and cherry tomatoes. Cover and let it cook for 8 minutes or until the salmon is cooked.
4. Once cooked, add the spring onion and coriander and let it cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Served immediately with steamed rice.
If you’ve tried the recipe, don’t forget to tag us on instagram at #thespatulaandwok