Soto Daging is a richly spiced beef broth, served with tender slices of beef, bean sprouts, boiled eggs and then garnished with crispy fried shallots, coriander leaves, spring onions and Sambal chili.
Watch the video..
- 500 gram to 800 gram Beef Knuckle Bone (Jarret de Beouf)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 inch ginger, sliced
- 1 inch galangal, bruised
- 1 lemongrass, bruised
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, blended
- 4 to 5 shallots or 1 whole red onion, blended
- 4 cardamom
- 4 to 5 cloves
- 2 to 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
For the spice mix:
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorn
- 2 beef bouillon
- 1 to 1 1/2 litre hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
For the garnish:
- Fresh coriander
- Crispy fried shallots
- Spring Onions
- Lime wedges/ Limau kasturi
For the accompaniments:
- Bean sprouts, briefly blanched with boiling water
- Lada rindu
- Boiled eggs
- Mee Hoon or Mee Kuning
1. In a large pot and on medium heat, add oil. Sauté the garlic and onion until fragrant. Then add galangal, lemongrass and ginger. Mix well.
2. Add cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms, star anise, bay leaf and all of the spice mix. Fry for 1 minute.
3. Then add the beef knuckle bone, water, beef bouillon, salt and white paper. Bring to a boil and gently simmer for about 2 hours until beef is tender. Keep checking every 1 hour. Top up with a little water if the broth has reduced slightly from boiling the beef.
4. Meanwhile, prepare all the accompaniments. Boil the eggs, noodle, beansprout.
5. Let’s assemble! Place the noodle in a serving bowl, top with blanched bean sprouts, egg. Ladle the soup and beef into the bowls. Garnish with coriander leaves, shallots and scallions. Serve hot with Lada Rindu! Enjoy!
If you’ve tried the recipe, don’t forget to tag us on instagram at #thespatulaandwok