- 500 gram Prawn, Head and shell on
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, for frying
For the Prawn marinade:
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
For the spice paste:
- 5 shallots
- 1 inch knob ginger
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste, roasted
- 6 medium garlic cloves
- 2 to 4 Birds eye chilli
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon Tauchu (Soy Bean Paste)
- 1 chicken cube, mix in 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon Palm sugar or Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Heinz Tomato Ketchup
- 1/2 cup ABC Hot-Sweet Chili sauce
- 2 large eggs, beaten
For the Garnish:
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander
1. Marinade the prawn with cornflour, salt and white pepper. Leave it to marinade for 10 to 20 minutes.
2. In a food processor, add the ginger, garlic, chilli, shallots, shrimp paste. Blend into a paste. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a large wok or pan, heat oil over high medium heat. Fry the prawn, 2 minutes each side. Remove and set aside.
4. In the same wok or pan, leave 1 tablespoon of oil and remove remaining excess oil. Stir in the spice paste and sauté until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Reduce to low heat, add the tomato ketchup, sweet chilli sauce, Tauchu, chicken bouillon and sugar. Let it simmer for 2 to 4 minutes.
6. Add the prawns and reduce to low heat. Cover loosely and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Season to taste.
7. If the gravy is too watery add in the cornstarch. Once gravy thickens, add beaten egg and gently stir. Let it cook for another 1 minute. Garnish with scallions and coriander.
7. Best serve with steamed rice or mantou buns. Gravy is best mopped up with fried mantou buns!
If you’ve tried the recipe, don’t forget to tag us on instagram at #thespatulaandwok